Twelve-step meetings help young adults realize they’re not alone on their journey of recovery. At meetings, individuals have an opportunity to share their feelings and hear other people share their experience, strength, and hope.
The 12 step work at the Claudia Black Young Adult Center involves the introduction to meetings and works with patients regarding their concerns and commitment to a self-help program. Depending on their diagnosis, patients are able to work within a range of formats for both substance addictions and process addictions, such as disordered eating behavior, gaming, sex, pornography, and relationship addiction. While the addicted may also benefit from the following, we find those who are non- addicted respond well to the 12 step formats for Codependency, Al-Anon, Adult Children of Addiction, Rage and Depression. The 12 step program helps to prevent relapse and provide lasting recovery.
- Meetings occur daily onsite.
- Meetings are gender-specific.
- Depending on phase identification off campus meetings are attended several times per week.
- The first step is completed and shared during treatment.
- Participation in 12 step study meetings furthers greater step work.
- Nightly gender specific 10th step meetings allow for thorough review of one’s behaviors throughout the day and amends to be made if needed.
- Patients are directed to local 12-step meetings in their hometowns and are encouraged to find a home group, obtain a sponsor, and work the 12 steps.
Whether or not someone is addicted, this aspect of our program supports community, accountability, shame reduction, and integrity.
Treatment Program For Young Adults
The Claudia Black Young Adult Center in Wickenburg, Arizona, provides an intensive, experientially based 45-day treatment program for young adults ages 18 – 26 who are struggling with unresolved emotional trauma, addiction, have a dual diagnosis or who have failed past addiction treatments. Dr. Claudia Black – renowned author, speaker, and trainer who has been working with family systems and addictive disorders since the 1970s – is the clinical architect of the Claudia Black Young Adult Center.