Somatic Experiencing® is a therapeutic tool used to treat Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other trauma-related disorders. Somatic Experiencing® is a body-oriented approach developed by Dr. Peter Levine, a Senior Fellow at The Meadows and a leader in trauma treatment. While studying the stress responses of animals in their natural environments, Dr. Levine discovered that trauma is not about the event. It is actually the biological and physiological response to the event. Dr. Levine believes that accessing the nervous system and bypassing the brain allows for more relaxation, containment, and emotional self-regulation.
The Goals of Somatic Experiencing®:
- Being present in the here and now
- Exploring choices and options
- Creating stability in patients’ relationships and lives
- Somatic Experiencing® is used to treat two types of trauma:
- Shock Trauma – Trauma caused by a single traumatic event or near-death experience.
- Developmental Trauma – Trauma during childhood development.
- The Meadows Model helps patients find the words to describe what they feel. Somatic Experiencing® works to stabilize emotional and physiological distress. These two effective approaches work together in the healing process.
Begin Your Journey Towards Recovery Today
The Claudia Black Young Adult Center in Wickenburg, Arizona, provides an intensive, experientially based 45-day treatment program for young adults ages 18 – 26 who are struggling with unresolved emotional trauma, addiction, have a dual diagnosis, or who have failed past addiction treatments. Dr. Claudia Black – renowned author, speaker, and trainer who has been working with family systems and addictive disorders since the 1970s – is the clinical architect of the Claudia Black Young Adult Center.