The Claudia Black Young Adult Center is a groundbreaking, intensive, and experientially based inpatient treatment program for young adults ages 18 to 26. Our goal is to help restore hope, healing and health to young adults who have lost focus and who are unable to embrace independent lives due to unresolved trauma, addictions or other issues, including failed past treatments.
We also know a key to long term recovery for young adults is finding a way to tap into an overall sense of purpose. We use a phase based approach to ensure safety, promote accountability, and assist patients in developing a sense of ownership of their recovery and leadership within the community.
What Sets Us Apart:
- Focus on identifying and treating underlying influences of addiction
- In-depth trauma work using trauma informed therapies
- Strong use of peer community
- Phase-based programming
- Cutting edge Brain Center
- Use of Neurofeedback
- Integrated experiential work encompassing action-based modalities
- Weekly individual sessions with primary counselor, trauma therapist, and Chief of psychiatry
- High staff to patient ratio
- Extensive family involvement, including skype-based webinars and on-campus family week
- Over 40 years treatment experience for both trauma and addiction within The Meadows system
- Clinical Leadership and daily involvement of Claudia Black Ph.D., Clinical Architect of the Claudia Black Center and Senior Fellow at The Meadows since 1998.
Effective Multiphase Treatment
Young adults ages 18 to 26 often have a perception of feeling “in-between,” knowing they are free from adolescent struggles and looking for independence. In many cases, though, they are still closely connected to their parents or other caregivers. For this reason, we have developed a customized approach to target this unique population. Addictions, psychological trauma and certain mood disorders may surface during this time period in a person’s life and may be connected to the presence of a deregulated brain stem. The Claudia Black Young Adult Center understands the enormous complexity of how the human brain functions in young adults. We utilize proven treatments to help regulate our patients during the healing process, allowing them to embrace long-term recovery.
Young Adult Focus
A key to long-term recovery for young adults is finding a way to tap into an overall sense of purpose. We use a phased approach in our program to allow those who have reached a stage of readiness to participate in off-campus community service activities. We also give those who have reached the final stage of their treatment the opportunity to lead our daily community meetings. Our young adults love the sense of empowerment and purpose they gain from these activities.
Phase 1: Assessment, safety, and acclimation
Phase 2: Accountability, off-campus activities, and service work
Phase 3: Recovery ownership and community leadership
Our treatment methods include:
- Trauma Informed Psychodrama
- Somatic Experiencing®
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
- Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
- Expressive Arts Therapy
The Claudia Black Young Adult Center team introduces fun into recovery in order to resonate with young adults and to promote interdependence and competency allowing them to make informed choices. Being part of a community and participating in daily community meetings allow patients to:
- Begin the day grounded
- Hold themselves and each other accountable
- Ask for support
- Improve communication skills
- Reaffirm positive affirmations
- Practice setting healthy boundaries
- Set goals for the day
The Claudia Black Young Adult Center
The Claudia Black Young Adult Center in Wickenburg, Arizona, provides an intensive, experientially based 45-day treatment program for young adults ages 18 – 26 who are struggling with unresolved emotional trauma, addiction, have a dual diagnosis or who have failed past addiction treatments. Dr. Claudia Black – renowned author, speaker, and trainer who has been working with family systems and addictive disorders since the 1970s – is the clinical architect of the Claudia Black Young Adult Center.
In a safe and nurturing community composed of their peers, young adults are guided on their journey of recovery by examining the underlying causes of addiction and co-occurring disorders. The goal is for these individuals to gain the courage to face difficult issues, including grief and loss; heal from emotional trauma; and become accountable for their own feelings, behaviors, and recovery. Visit us here or feel free to phone us at 855-333-6075.