Codependency is an emotional disorder that causes sufferers to ignore their own needs while feeling compelled to fulfill the needs of others. A sufferer may forfeit his or her own well-being and values in the pursuit of assisting other people. After experiencing relationship trauma, codependent individuals often:
- Form unhealthy relationships due to feelings of low self-worth
- Enter relationships with individuals who are irresponsible, emotionally detached or excessively needy
- Find themselves in emotionally and, sometimes, physically abusive relationships
- Become downtrodden and oppressed in their relationships
What are the effects of codependency?
Individuals suffering from codependency may:
- Repress their emotions
- Subject themselves to relationship trauma
- Have extremely low self-esteem
- Often cope by abusing alcohol, drugs, sex or food
Emotional Trauma Treatment For Young Adults
At the Claudia Black Young Adult Center, we help patients look beyond their symptoms and consider the emotional and relational trauma behind codependency in order to better understand their unhealthy coping mechanisms. Codependency and its accompanying issues are addressed everyday at the Claudia Black Young Adult Center. Visit us here or feel free to call 855-333-6075 to begin your journey.