Bipolar disorder – also known as manic depression – is a psychological condition causing individuals to experience extreme shifts in mood, attitude, behavior, and energy. Individuals with bipolar disorder experience manic highs and depressive lows, which can last for prolonged periods of time.
An individual experiencing bipolar disorder may find symptoms worsen over time. Since the disorder comes with an increased risk of suicide, drug and alcohol addiction, it is important for afflicted individuals to seek professional treatment in a timely fashion.
What are the effects of bipolar disorder?
Bipolar symptoms may include:
- Extreme highs or optimism, followed by despair, sadness, or emotional numbness
- Severe irritability and/or angry outbursts
- False, unrealistic and inflated beliefs about one’s talents and capacities
- Increased rates of speech and thoughts
- Trouble focusing on tasks or concentrating
- Diminished capacity for judgment
- Uncontrolled spontaneity without a sense of consequences
- Delusional thinking and hallucinations
- Inability to experience pleasure
- Physical and mental inertia
- Appetite/weight fluctuations
- Trouble sleeping or extreme changes in sleeping patterns
- Inability to remember things
- Feelings of despair, unworthiness, and/or guilt
- Preoccupation with death or ideas about suicide
Individuals experiencing the above symptoms should seek professional help to see if their condition is, in fact, bipolar disorder and to learn how they can regain control over their lives.
Bipolar Disorder Treatment for Young Adults
Bipolar disorder is a serious condition. The Claudia Black Young Adult Center can help individuals suffering from bipolar disorder regain control over their lives. We offer a comprehensive holistic bipolar disorder treatment program that focuses on healing all aspects of the mind, body, and spirit. We invite you to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment. To learn more, visit us here or feel free to call 855-333-6075 to find out how we can help.